Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hazy Days - Part I

Two days ago I received email from HR Safety and Health department. It was a Haze Action Plan from National Environment Agency, Singapore, regarding the levels of API, following by the emergency plans and actions that should be taken according to the API.

API levels of 201 to 300 were said to be 'very unhealthy', and 301 to 500 'hazardous'.

I read through but i don't see any current API stated. So I asked the HR guy about the most recent status. He replied me with the latest announcement of API released by DOE (Department of Environment) - BELOW 100...!!

I couldn't believe what I read! The visibility was down to 200m to 300m and choking smell was everywhere but the government said API was below 100?? And I looked around, the haze had even pervaded inside the factory and air-conditioned office. I checked the list of levels stated on the email again, it said:

Index Value - '100'
Descriptor - 'MODERATE'
General Health Effects - 'Few or none for the general population'
Cautionary Statements - 'NONE REQUIRED'


Damn the liars. Damn the government...!!

No comments: